• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

migraines!

'medicine cabinet'

Bluelighter
so a little background, i am 28 years old and i have been getting migraines for about the past 20 years. i can remember the first migraine i ever got because it was in 2nd grade and i puked on the stairs as the nurse was walking me out to go home lol. i have been on just about every migraine med there is, triptans, alpha blocker, beta blockers, opiates, fever few ect ect.

the one thing that has worked for me to at least help keep them at bay is marijuana. i am a daily smoker so i look at it like preventative medicine. when i was younger i used to get them all the time, but once i hit puberty i stopped getting them as much, but when i do get them they are BAD.

At the moment i dont have health insurance or a PCP for that matter so i do what i cna when i get a bad migraine...take advil and psuedophed smoke weed, take benzos....basically whatever. Last night i could feel one coming on so i took advil to try and knock it out and sleep it off, but no good. i woke up at 3am with an INSANELY bad migraine. It was so bad i actually went to the ER.

Now i figured i would tell them i was on methadone, just because of the possible interactions with some of the drugs they usually give. So the dr said he would give me a shot of benedryl and torridol....i was like WTF? where did you go to med school?

this dr was a total butthole...the worst part is he talked to me like i had never had a migraine before. so i told him imitrex works for my migraines and could i have some of the nasal spray since it works quickly, he told me it was too expensive and he could give me an IM shot of it. so i took it, figured it was better than torridol and benedry.

I asked him if he could possibly also give me something to help me sleep, i didnt ask for anything by name and before i could finish he said no no no, just rest and you will feel fine. i kept telling him i couldnt rest and u was very uncomfortable and asked if he could make me more comfortalbe, and instead i was discharged.

Now i know it was probably because i am on methadone and dont have insurance, but i fucking waited 4 hours in pure hell for one crappy shot of immitrex.

has this happened to anyone else before? id like to hear from other migraine sufferers to see what works for you... preventative medicine or emergency medicine? when i was on the beta blockers i was constantly tired, same with the alpha blockers. the triptans work but they are cardio-toxic, especially zomig.

this is really starting to effect my life. i had a really bad one on new years and had to go home early.

so what works for other bl'ers to get rid of your migraine?

Sorry to hear about your awful migraines! I did some quick searching to see if BL already had some suggestions for you, and they did in the archives. Maybe some of that will be beneficial. If I were you I'd try doing the food diary suggestion first as it's the easiest. Best of luck and keep us updated. :)

^ahhh, the archive....thanks for posting the link.

ive done a pretty good job avoiding foods that trigger migraines. primarily food that contains the amino acid tyramine (or maybe its tyrosine) but things like citrus, aged cheese, olives, dark chocolate, caffeine, alcohol....i could go on and on. alcohol is byfar the worst for me, i think being addicted to opiates for so many years have made my body soft to alcohol.

thanks tho for the good wishes!